What to Do Prior to Calling for Furnace Repair in Jefferson Park
When the temperature drops outside, chances are you reach for the thermostat to turn up the heat inside. However, if the heater doesn’t work, or works insufficiently, you may feel like you are left out in the cold. While your first instinct may be to call a heating company for furnace repair in Jefferson Park, there are some things you can do yourself.
Tips to Troubleshoot the Issue
The seven troubleshooting tips here may help you get your furnace or heater back up and running quickly, minimizing downtime and a bad case of the chills.
- Be sure nothing is blocking the flow of warm air. This is common if the heater is providing some heat, but not enough to adequately heat the space.
- Check the filter—if it is dirty, it needs to be replaced. There is a good chance this will rectify the ‘no heat’ issue.
- Check to ensure the heating registers in the room are open.
- Ensure the thermostat is working properly. Try increasing the temperature by five degrees and waiting a few minutes to see if anything happens.
- If you have a furnace, you may have to reset the motor because of an overload. The reset button is found close to the blower motor’s housing.
- Check the fuse leading to the heater or furnace. If it is blown replace it.
- Flush the drain lines. In some furnaces, these lines can drain several gallons of water each day, if they become restricted by mold growth or sediment, then the furnace will stop working altogether.
Getting Help when You Need It
Regardless of what type of heating system you use in your home, from time to time, issues will arise. One of the best ways to prevent this is by scheduling regular maintenance from a furnace repair or heating repair company. They can inspect the heating and cooling system in your home annually, bi-annually, or even monthly if you prefer. These technicians will be able to ensure that no potential issues are present and make sure you have the heat you need, when you need it.
Remember, not all heating companies are created equally. Take some time to find a reputable service that understands the type of heating system you have installed. Don’t take chances on completing the repairs yourself if you have no prior experience. While the troubleshooting tips here can be helpful, if you go any further in regard to the furnace repair, you may find you do more damage than good and costing you even more in the long run. Taking the time to use these troubleshooting tips will help ensure the best possible results are achieved for the repairs that are needed. Visit Deljo Heating & Cooling for more information.